Thursday, September 17, 2009

Introduction

About me:

I have a background in theoretical computer science (Master's degree from University of Aarhus). I currently work as a software developer (developing in Erlang, Scala, and the odd Bash, Perl and C++).

I've been involved - briefly - in many software projects; as bug reporter, coder, translator, or level designer. You could call me a hit-and-run contributor.
The reason: I tend to have too many ideas of my own to explore to hang around any particular project for long. Perhaps not ideal, but that's how it's turned out.

My main interests are programming languages and their implementations. That means primarily compilers, but also interpreters and runtime systems.



It's been an interest for the last 15+ years, and I've tried designing languages of my own for almost as long.
Most of that time the ideas have remained squarely inside the box - having been acquainted with only the imperative paradigm doesn't help. So until recently, I definitely have been somewhat behind the curve.

At some point, though, I realized that what I was doing was too much like what other people were doing elsewhere, with better resources.
Consequently, anything not sufficiently avant-garde would be a waste of time...

Since University, I find myself increasingly short of people with whom to discuss technical stuff and off whom to bounce ideas.
A good time to start a blog, then... long overdue, actually.
For outlet and for feedback. Well, outlet, at least; feedback is something you can only wish for. But writing does force you to organize your thoughts, and that's a start.

Disclaimers...
  • I'm not a native English speaker.
    (I do, however, try to hide that fact as well as I can.)

  • I'm supposed to be a Master in Computer Sciences.
    However, given the size of the field, this does not make me an expert in all of its areas - practical or theoretical - nor indeed of every area that I might venture to write about.

  • Like so many others, I'm curious about some things (e.g., programming languages) and more rigid about other things (e.g., which OS's or editors I find myself being compatible with).
    There are even things I ought to be curious about which I've nevertheless given up on for now, mainly because of lack of spare time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment